Week of Welcome
September 15th-19th 2021
WOW is the official beginning of your experience as a Cal Poly Mustang, when all new students join together in the days leading up to the fall quarter. Although local, state, and University guidelines require a modified format for 2021, Week of Welcome will continue to provide opportunities for friendships, connection to Cal Poly and the SLO community, and an exciting start to your Cal Poly story!
In response to COVID-19 regulations, Cal Poly Campus Operations released protocols for Campus Events to the campus community.
Week of Welcome programming encompasses key programs, key connections, and key resources - all of which new students will engage with during WOW this year! All required WOW programming will be hosted virtually to ensure a consistent experience for the entire incoming class of new Mustangs. Community-building and engagement activities will take place throughout the week to connect both new Mustangs joining from home and those living on campus.
While we can't gather in groups this year, Mustangs who have chosen to live on campus will have time to connect with others and explore the Cal Poly and San Luis Obispo community in between your scheduled WOW activities.
Week of Welcome Dates: What to Expect
WOW is a dynamic collection of activities, events, and programs to engage new students with campus life, resources, and tons of other Cal Poly Mustangs! During WOW new students will...
- Be introduced to tons of other new and current Mustangs and form new friendships
- Connect with other Mustangs through community-building activities, intentional conversations, and a wide variety of interactive events
- Participate in a variety of fun and exciting activities
- Discover how to get connected and involved at Cal Poly
- Get the scoop on how to navigate the college experience
- Hear tips from Advisors on how to succeed academically at Cal Poly
WOW groups are led by two Orientation Leaders that are current Cal Poly students who will guide you through WOW and help connect you to the Cal Poly community.
Your WOW group will meet regularly throughout WOW. Each day there will be check-in with your WOW group, socials and activities, required presentations and programs, community building, and ample break time. Your specific group schedule will be shared by your Orientation Leaders in your first small group meeting.
We know that WOW this year is different than our traditional programming but we are confident that it will be worth your time and will help you be successful here at Cal Poly. Because things might be different than you expected, please take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions sections below that you might be wondering about.
Your Roadmap to WOW
Wondering how to get started with WOW? Follow these steps to begin your Mustang Journey!
Step 1: Accept Your Offer
Accept your Offer of Admission from Cal Poly through your Cal Poly Portal to secure your spot at Cal Poly and allow you to register for Virtual SLO Days and the Week of Welcome (WOW).
Step 2: Register for SLO Days and WOW
Once you've selected your SLO Days date, register through your Cal Poly Portal under the "Orientation Events" tab.
- Click here to view our Orientation Registration Guidelines.
Are you interested in participating in Week of Welcome's Cross Cultural Experience? Sign up when you register for WOW!
- This Week of Welcome option seeks to form a community for students who identify as a member of an underrepresented group including, but not limited to: various racial and ethnic backgrounds, gender identities, sexual orientations, and economic class.
- CCE includes alternative experiences for WOWies such as: fun activities, workshops, discussions, and a multicultural resource fair that centers the voices of underrepresented students at Cal Poly and ensures that as a CCE participant you are connecting to resources and communities that will help you be a successful Mustang!
Step 3: Prepare for WOW
- WOW will be taking place September 15th-19th
- Check your Cal Poly email for important updates and information.