Get Ready for Your SLO Days Session
Now that you are registered, it's time to get excited for Virtual SLO Days 2020! Here's everything that you need to be ready!
Please note: to help ensure everyone's health and safety, and in accordance with public health guidelines, Cal Poly will host Virtual SLO Days this summer for all newly admitted students and their supporters.
Get excited for SLO Days 2020! Below we've put together everything you need to know to make your SLO Days experience the best it can be! Remember to pack what you need, know how to get here, and to check in with us once you arrive.
All information on this page pertains to the following two-day SLO Days sessions for freshmen.
July 27 & 28
July 30 & 31
Aug 3 & 4
Aug 6 & 7
Aug 10 & 11
If you still need to register for SLO Days, you can do so through the "Orientation Events" tab on your Cal Poly Portal. Regular registration for orientation (both SLO Days and WOW) ends on July 27, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. (PST). Anyone who completes registration after 11:59 p.m. (PST) on July 27 will automatically incur a late registration fee of $75 to their orientation package.
This year’s programming will include separate tracks specifically created for students and their parents/supporters, and designed by current Cal Poly students and campus and community professionals. Here's a list of virtual sessions planned for this year:
Programming for Students:
- Journey to Academic Success
- Healthy Habits
- Student Life Essentials
- Paving Your Path
- Mustangs for Inclusive Excellence
- One Community
- Navigating your Cal Poly Portal
- Time with your SLO Days Summer Crew Leader & group
Programming for Supporters:
- Transitions & You
- One Community
- "Student's Drink, but Not My Student"
- Journey to Academic Success
- Paying for College (with Financial Aid and Student Accounts)
- Responding to Sexual Violence in Our Community
- Student Life Essentials
- Office Hours with the VPSA
Virtual SLO Days: What You Need to Know
- Virtual SLO Day's Pre-Orientation will be emailed to first-time freshmen students two (2) weeks before their scheduled session date.
- Students will receive an enrollment confirmation notification to their Cal Poly email address. (We recommend disabling any mail-forwarding if you currently have it enabled).
- Students can move through the Pre-Orientation materials asynchronously and at their own pace leading up to their scheduled session date.
- Pre-Orientation covers a variety of topics, including information from Campus Health & Wellbeing, the City of San Luis Obispo, the Office of the Dean of Students, and several other campus resources!
- We recommend spending a minimum of 1.5 - 2 hours of time on Pre-Orientation.
- Students will have access to Pre-Orientation information after their Virtual SLO Days Session to help support their Mustang journey.
Session Date: Schedule at a Glance
Please refer to the "Orientation 2020" guide on the CP Now app to view the most updated schedule for your respective session date.
Session Date: Day-of-Schedule
Download the Orientation 2020 Guide in the Cal Poly Now App!
Schedules, presentation descriptions, session details, and much more can be found on our Orientation 2020 Guide! Make sure to download the FREE Cal Poly Now app and Orientation 2020 Guide before your session.
Session Date: Zooming In!
- Virtual SLO Days will be hosted through Zoom meetings and webinars.
- For security purposes, we ask that all student attendees download Zoom and create a free account. NSTP will register attendees for presentations by the email they used to register for Virtual SLO Days.
- Further Zoom instructions are provided in the Virtual SLO Days Pre-Orientation information.
- Zoom will automatically open when you select the secure session links that will be shared with you via email. If you encounter any difficulties with your computer audio, we recommend using the Zoom dial-in option to connect by phone.
- Secure links specific to your session date will be provided within your Pre-Orientation site at least 48 hours before your scheduled session.
- SLO Days Zoom links are only intended for use by SLO days session attendees. Please do not share links, post them publicly, or list them on your electronic calendar.
- Some links may be password protected. If so, that information will be shared along with the original link information. We ask that you do not share the passwords for security reasons.
- Some presentations may be recorded to be shared with attendees following Virtual SLO Days sessions. This will allow attendees to reference sessions again as needed.
- If a presentation is being recorded, attendees will be notified at the beginning of the session.
- We will not record sessions that involve small group discussion and/or conversations for the privacy of our attendees.
- Hey, new Mustangs – We have a SLO Days track just for you! You'll get to meet more Cal Poly students (including your awesome orientation leader!), hear from campus resources to support your transition to college, and get strategies to help you succeed on this new journey! We're excited to see you!
- Your supporters have a track for themselves, too! Supporter presentations for Virtual SLO Days will typically occur when students are on a break.
- The final Virtual SLO Days presentation is "Now You're a Mustang" on day two. This session is for both students and supporters.
- Day two's "Choose Your Own Adventure" takes place after "Now You're a Mustang." Stick around to hear from even more about on- and off-campus resources, departments, and organizations!
- If you have access needs that were included in your registration, please email email@example.com as soon as possible and no later than four (4) business days (Monday - Friday) before your session.
Parents and Supporters are Welcome
Friends, family, and supporters can join students via our supporter track. We provide programming geared toward supporting you and your student through their transition to Cal Poly.
Please visit the parent and supporter session page for more information.
Cal Poly Scholars
Learn more about Cal Poly Scholars here.
- Students selected to join the Cal Poly Scholars program are expected to attend a designated breakout session during SLO Days that will provide a helpful overview of program expectations and benefits.
- If you have declined the award or have been rescinded from the Cal Poly Scholars Program, please log back into your orientation account to find any incurred fees. This information can be accessed through the "Orientation Events" tab in your MyCalPoly Portal. Please note, a new price for SLO Days will be reflected in your account.
- Please note: There is no application process for the Cal Poly Scholars program, and selection is determined by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at the time of acceptance to the university. Students unsure of their status in the Scholars program should check their email for an invitation to join the program or reach out to the program directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keep checking your Cal Poly email for important updates and information in the days and weeks leading up to your session.
Connect with us on social media @CPorientation and share with us your #CalPolyBound stories.