Apply to be a Summer Administrative Staff
Apply to be a part of our Student Administrative Staff! This part-time job works great in conjunction with taking classes at Cal Poly during the Summer Quarter!
Cal Poly’s New Student & Transition Programs (NSTP) is focused on providing the best transition possible to incoming students at Cal Poly. Utilizing three unique programs, NSTP helps students through the many aspects of the college transition. Focusing on both academics and the social transition, NSTP aims to make the process of coming to Cal Poly as smooth as possible.
Student Life Orientation (SLO) Days – New students will get their first on campus experience as new Mustangs. Make connections with new students, leaders, and your college and explore campus and the San Luis Obispo community in this two-day, overnight event. Dates between July and mid-August. Registration for Student Life Orientation Days opens March 2016. Space in each session is limited and not guaranteed until reception of payment upon registration. Our summer orientation program is mandatory for all new students.
Week of Welcome - Known simply as “WOW”, Week of Welcome is a nearly 60 year-old tradition at Cal Poly taking place in September leading up to and around your first days of class. Start off your career as a Mustang in this full immersion week! In your group you will meet your WOW Leaders, move-in, kick off the year with the Big Fall Welcome, explore the central coast, start on your Journey to Academic Success, and make life-long connections. Mandatory for all new students, starting September 17 through the first day of classes September 22. Registration to new students opens March 2016.
Orientation Reservation Support
- Respond to drop-in, phone, and email questions from new students and their families about the SLO Days and WOW reservation process (e.g. logging on, adding guests, modifying reservations, payment procedures, cancelling, etc.)
- Communicate needs and challenges to Orientation Board and Professional Staff
- Handle unique payment processes under the supervision of professional staff
- Handle refund processing for reservations
- Handle price adjustments for students and their families
- Run daily reports from the orientation system to keep campus partners up to date
- Examine needed summer communication to provide the best possible information to students and their supporters
- Understand University organization, governance, policies, procedures, programs, and services to new students and their supporters.
- Listen to and address new student and guest concerns with honesty, objectivity, sensitivity, and empathy, and provide appropriate resources and referrals to ensure their needs are met as fully as possible.
- Customer service focused, embodying the FISH Philosophy: Play, Make Their Day, Choose Your Attitude, Be There
- Working with VisualZen (VZ) registration software
- Working with databases (Excel)
- Answering the telephone, taking and retrieving messages and answering inquires
- General Office Duties (filing, photocopying, typing documents)
- Using Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
Qualifications and Expectations
- Current full-time student at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo with full time status through Spring Quarter 2016
- Higher Education Cumulative GPA of 2.3 or greater at the time of application and throughout employment
- Be in good academic and judicial standing with the university at time of application and through employment
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Have knowledge of Cal Poly campus resources, policies, and procedures
- Previous experience as a SLO Days and WOW Leader is preferred
- Previous experience with New Student & Transition Programs is preferred
- Be able to perform well under weekly deadlines and short turnaround times
- Work well independently
- Feel comfortable with detailed work
- Develop and maintain a positive working relationship with other staff
- Maintain confidentiality of student information
- Be responsible with special staff privileges (access to office, phones, equipment, information, etc.)
Terms of Employment
- Employment will begin March 2017 and will last through September 2017
- Rate: $10.50/hr
- Weekly Commitment:
- March – May: 10-15 hrs/week
- June – September: 15-20 hrs/week
- Work at a regularly scheduled shift during the time of employment excluding official university holidays and breaks. Time off must be discussed with and approved by the supervisor in advance.
Application is available online at mustang jobs (through your My CalPoly portal)
The job listing is “administrative Student Staff”
Click here for a Mustang Jobs “How-To” – check it out for an introduction or a refresher on how to navigate the Mustang Jobs site.
Brandon Martin, Program Coordinator, New Student & Transition Programs